Summer has arrived! The warm days are here to stay so while you are soaking up the rays and deciding which flavor of ice cream will be your favorite this season, take a moment to remember what is safe for your pets. Below are a few reminders:
- Never leave pets in a car, even with windows down.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Bring an extra water bottle for your pets while out and about.
- Touch the pavement and sidewalk – if it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for your pets’ paws! Take walks early in the morning or late at night when it is cooler out.
- Fireworks can be beautiful and exciting to us, but loud and scary for our pets. Prepare accordingly if you are near 4th of July celebrations.
- Watch for signs of exhaustion in pets while swimming. Many dogs will not limit their activity, so make sure to keep a close eye on them and take breaks.
- Stock up on flea/tick and heartworm preventatives. Don’t forget to mark your calendar when they are due.
- Keep the BBQ foods away from pets. Stick with treats designed especially for them as something special for family celebrations.
- Provide adequate shade – sunburn can happen even to our pets!
- If your cat is spending more time outdoors, be sure to check for bite wounds – especially if they have been gone for a few days.
- Ear infections, hot spots, and other skin conditions are common during the summer months so regularly check your pet while giving them some extra belly rubs.
These are just a few points to help keep everyone safe this summer. Before you know it autumn will be upon us and we will be missing the warm sun. So, kick back and relax during these long summer days!
Should you need us, we are here:
Monday – Friday: 6pm to Midnight
Saturday & Sunday: 9am to Midnight.
*Holiday hours may differ so keep an eye on our Facebook page for the latest updates!